Saturday, October 1, 2011

New Month

As we enter into a new month it seems life has new challenges. This month I will go from being a stay at home mom to a working mom, Cole has given up his pacifier and I plan to get Cole into more social activities. I know Cole misses his pacifier because he is chewing on his blanket now. I think he misses the fact that it helped him soothe himself. With the pacifier being gone we also have seen more meltdown. I am by far the wrong person to ask what to do about the meltdowns. So far I try to ignore them and if it goes for too long I will try to help him to understand what is going on. So I am opened to any other suggestions anyone has out there for meltdowns.

As far as social interacting for Cole I am hoping to be able to plan an activity a week for him.  My husband and I had a chance to look at a daycare today. I was originally thinking of putting Cole in one for 2 half days for social interaction. I want him to be prepared for when he actually goes to school at age 3 and also work on his social skills. I realized that even putting him in for the little bit of time might be hard to do. The price was more then we could afford so instead I started looking at local libraries. We have 3 in close range of us and the classes are normally free. So I plan to work around his EI so that we can now do that too.

Hopefully the last change will be me going back to work. I actually found a job that will hopefully not interrupt Cole's day. I will be working overnights so that I only miss Cole sleeping.  My goal was to be able to be as hands on with EI as I am now and also not miss any of Cole's first that he still has. New Jersey is a 2 income to live state so I knew this day would come soon. I wanted to school for a career that I would be able to work overnight. So I am hoping I can adjust to the knew schedule for Cole's sake.

I wanted to end with what most parents feel at one point or another. I spoke to a friend tonight and said i just wish Cole could talk. I wish when I went to the daycare that I didn't have to focus on if they could meet his special needs he has.  I also hate the fact that after leaving as much as they tried to make me comfortable that is there anyone I can trust to care for Cole. I know by age 3 Cole will be in the school district because EI ends at 3 but how do I know its right. So I started wondering will I trust someone with Cole , when will he really talk and communicate what he wants, how much longer do I have to wait? I wish there was a fast fix to this in life but I have yet to hear or find about one. So I am closing with the Serenity Prayer tonight:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment