Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Books that have been a help

I figured today i would write about the books and blogs/websites that have been a big help to me. Lets start with books:

The first book i read was The Late Talker: What To Do If Your Child Is Not Talking Yet by Dr. Marilyn Agin, Lisa Geng, and Malcolm Nicholl.  This was the book I read when I was trying to figure out why Cole was not speaking. It gave insight into Early Intervention, the different types of services such as speech therapy, ect, and what types of doctors that would evaluate your child. It also gave you the rights you have to a child who may have special need. It also spoke of the different reasons your child may not be speaking.

The next book I read was Could It Be Autism? By Nancy D. Wiseman. I picked this book up when the neurologist started speaking about Cole possibly having Autism.  It went over different test they do with children, it gives little inserts from different parents that relate to the chapter. It helps you with how do deal with the diagnoses. It goes into what rights you have as a parent with a child with autism and the meetings you will have with the schools. All in all it gives you a little heads up on what you will be in for with the getting your child help.

Book 3 is Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew by Ellen Notbohm. This book helped me understand why Cole does some of the things he does. It went over being patient with your child and the difference between wont and can't.  the book talked about sensory perception and how autism children interpret language literally. It also went over other issues and was an easy book to read. Being able to understand what Cole may be going through really made me think about is it a meltdown or an overload.

After book 3 I decide to take a break from serious book and read : Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid A Survival guide for Ordinary Parents of Special Children by Gina Gallagher & Patricia Konjoian.  This book is about 2 sisters who have child Autism and the other with Bipolar. I don;t remember how I found this book but felt like I needed to read it. I am surrounded by parents who have normal or advanced children. They always ask about Cole and never make me feel like Cole is slow. I just have my own insecurities about it and its nice to see how other women dealt with it. I am still in the process of reading this book so I can't give too much info on it but they also have a blog. I will be blogging about websites and blogs that have been a help soon.
Well I hope that this list helps some parents and until the next blog enjoy the special child that you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment