Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Trying so hard

Its amazing how smart Cole is and yet how hard it is for his words to come out.  Last night Cole knew what time I came home from school and was waiting at the door for me.  He also was able to shake his head NO when I tried to get him to blow on a party horn. Yet when we are trying to get him to repeat vowel sounds it was just too hard for him to get them out.  Last night when we tried to go to bed, Cole decide he wasn't ready for bed. He was running around our room in the dark.  I figured it would be a good time to practice his vowels, since he was getting the rest of his energy out.  Even though I couldn't see his mouth I could hear him trying.  He was only able to say "OOO".  We tried the a and also e which he has said before.  I heard him trying to get the vowel out but only getting a little noise. I praised Cole for trying because I want him to know I am proud that he is trying.  As frustrating as it is for me that he is not talking its more frustrating to him that these words or vowels are not coming out.  I just keep trying to tell myself that in time we will know why the speech delay is happening.  We have 6 days until he goes to the ENT and speech evaluation. 
So just remember that as frustrated as we are that our child(ren) are not speaking they are just as frustrated.  I have truly learned the meaning patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment