Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MRI

On Monday Cole went for his 6 month MRI to rule out White Matter Disease. White Matter Disease effects your muscles and speech and so on. When he had his MRI to rule out autism they listed it as a possibility that he could have it or it could be his age. We are hoping its his age and that this one will show that everything is fine. We are awaiting the results very patiently but I am hoping I get them today. I was hoping to write on Monday about the process and how great Monmouth Pediatric Day Stay unit in NJ was.

MRI Day: Cole was due at the hospital at 9am and had to stop eating at midnight the night before. He was allowed to have some water or apple juice before 7am but Cole is never really up that early. Cole did wake up at 7:30am and was looking for food and his milk but he was easy to distract. We got out of the house at 8 and was at the hospital by 9am. I believe we had the same nurse as the last time we were there. As soon as they had to start taking vitals and listen to his chest Cole flipped out. Ever since his EEG and being in the hospital he just doesn't like any medical people touching him. I was able to ask the nurse for the oral med that helps kids relax and they don;t remember the procedure they are having. I don;t know the name but if you have a verbal child they might start slurring their words and walk funny. I am hoping this helps with Cole getting over his fear of medical personal. Next was IV time. Since he had to get an MRI with and with contrast he needed this plus his sedation was going to be given through this. Once the IV was in the nurse let me carry him to the MRI room. The technicians were great there. The one told us his child had to go through this and told us what we could expect when the sedation was given. Cole was put on the MRI table and the sedation process started. For anyone who has not had a child IV sedated let me say you want to cry and are happy they wont remember anything all at once. I was able to hold his hand while they put him out and got him set up for the MRI. He had to be monitored by an EKG and they had to put the bars up for him to be set up in the MRI machine. Once they were set up it was time for us parents to leave the room. The one technician told us he would keep us posted on how he was doing and how much time was left. It felt like hours had gone by when really it was 45min. I was told by the doctor, nurses and technician that Cole did great. they also were able to take his IV out before he woke up so he really wouldn't remember it at all. I was so thankful for this.  Since Cole was not still coming out of sedation the nurse let me carry him back to the day stay unit. All seemed like it was going well he was slowly coming out of sedation and was really thirsty. We had 4 small containers of apple juice probably before we actually made it out of the hospital parking lot. I of course stopped to get him something else to drink and we made it home. Of course looking back I wish I would have slowed him down on his drinking because when we got home all the juice came back up. Not only did we have that but we also had a diaper explode because he had diarrhea.  Once that was through his system it seemed like he was back on track. He did crawl for most of the day because when he walked he looked like he was drunk. All in all I think the day wasn't horrible. Even though the day was not horrible I am hoping this is our last MRI until Cole can understand what an MRI is. I have to say thank you to the wonderful nurses, technicians and doctor from Monmouth hospital. They really helped us a lot with making this the best trip that it could be.
If I don;t blog on Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment