Tuesday, May 31, 2011


Well today was the big day for Cole. He was scheduled to have an MRI and EEG with IV Sedation.  We had to sleep deprive, stop all food at midnight and get him up before 6am if we wanted him to have a drink before going on.  As most parents know my biggest worry was would I sleep deprive him enough that the sedation would work good. Well I can answer I dd it a little too well.  I spent most of the night worried about the IV while Cole sleep so good. He got up at 5:45am and took only 2 sips of his water. I figured at least he got something.  The trip to the hospital was about 40 min and well It seemed like it was hours.  Cole tried to nap but we were able to keep him up and once we made  it to the hospital he was wide awake and ready to run around again.  Let me just say this Monmouth Pediatric Day Stay Unit was awesome. The nurses were wonderful and if Cole ever has to go for any test I would take him there over any where else. His nurse explained everything and we signed paperwork, and then his doctor came over and it was the moment I dreaded.  I was ready to  hear about the IV but he stunned me by saying that their neurologist didn't want to do an EEG with IV sedation but they would do oral sedation. I thought great no needle this day might go better then I thought but then he said he may not stay asleep long enough to do both test.  If that happened we would have to come back for the other test. My heart dropped. How could I put Cole through this again?  I accepted it and got ready for Cole to get his meds.  He hates taking anything so we had to hold him down while his nurse gave him the meds.  He tried to fight the meds making him tired but finally gave in.  His first test was the MRI and he looked so helpless.  When we got to the MRI I was allowed to stay in the room while they hooked him up but when the test started I had to leave.  The nurse reassured me that she would keep a good eye on him and he would be fine.  Thankfully they put ear plugs in and cover hi ears so that he didn't have the loud sound from the MRI.  It took about 35 mins and thankfully he came out of there still asleep.  So from there we rushed him over to EEG.  This was the test I worried about.  I knew he needed to stay asleep for about and hour and once again i was left in a waiting room.  He nurse once again reassured me that she would take good care of him.  He slept so well that towards the end of his EEG they need him to wake up and they had to use a cold towel to do that.  He came out of the room still sleeping and it took about and hour and another cold towel to wake him up.  We were told to monitor him and to watch his balance. He was a trooper through all of this and woke up a happy child still. My son truly amazes me on how happy he is. He woke up thirsty and hunger.  His nurse gave him juice which it seemed he didn't come up for air until it was done. When we left we had to hold his head since he was almost like a newborn with no head control.  Thankfully that only lasted an hour.  We took Cole to lunch and then he fell back for another 3 hours.  When he woke up from his nap he tried walking for the first time and well lets just say he looked like he was drunk. It now almost bed time again for us and he is ready for bed and is close to back to normal.  Now the waiting game begins for the test results.  I tried blogging in the hospital but it seems i messed up on the set up for mobile blogging. Well until his next appointment or achievement.........

No comments:

Post a Comment